Can you get botulism from cooked honey?

The short answer is no. However, it is possible to get botulism from raw or unpasteurized honey.

Botulism is a rare but serious illness that can cause paralysis. It is caused by a toxin that is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. This toxin can cause severe muscle weakness and paralysis.

While it is possible to get botulism from raw honey, it is very unlikely. The risk of getting botulism from cooked honey is even lower.

The best way to prevent botulism is to make sure that you only eat honey that has been pasteurized. Pasteurized honey has been heated to a high temperature that kills the bacteria that can cause botulism.

If you are concerned about the risk of botulism, you can talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian.

READ MORE:  How likely is honey to cause botulism?

Leave a Comment

Share to...