This is a question that I get asked a lot, and it’s one that I’m always happy to answer. The short answer is no, honey does not always cause botulism. In fact, honey is generally considered to be a very safe food.
However, there are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to honey and botulism. First of all, it’s important to understand that botulism is a potentially fatal disease. It’s caused by a bacteria called Clostridium botulinum, and it can cause paralysis and death.
Honey can contain spores of this bacteria, and if those spores are ingested, they can germinate and cause an infection. That’s why it’s important to only eat honey that has been properly processed and pasteurized.
If you’re thinking about eating raw honey, it’s also important to understand that there is a risk of botulism. Raw honey can contain spores of Clostridium botulinum, and if those spores are ingested, they can germinate and cause an infection.
However, the risk of botulism from raw honey is very low. In fact, the CDC ( Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) says that the risk of botulism from raw honey is “extremely low” and that honey is “one of the safest foods you can eat.”
So, to answer the question, no, honey does not always cause botulism. However, there is a small risk of botulism from raw honey, and it’s important to be aware of that risk.