What are the symptoms of botulism from honey?

Botulism is a serious illness that affects the nerves and muscles. A type of bacteria called Clostridium botulinum causes botulism. Clostridium botulinum spores are commonly found in soil, dust, and water. Occasionally, the spores can cause illness in humans and animals. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some symptoms of botulism from honey.

What are botulism and botulism symptoms?

Botulism is a disease caused by a bacteria that commonly affects infants and the elderly. It is found naturally in honey and can cause botulism symptoms in both animals and humans.

The bacteria that cause Botulism grow in honey, so anytime that honey is ingested, there is a chance of contracting this disease. While most cases of botulism in humans are a result of eating foods that have been contaminated with the bacteria, other cases can be contracted through close contact with infected animals.

Botulism symptoms can appear anywhere from 6-48 hours after a person has taken in foods that have come into contact with the bacteria. These symptoms include:

  • Muscle weakness
  • Difficulty speaking
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Swelling in the face
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Difficulty moving

The botulism symptoms listed above can be fatal if left untreated, so it is important to contact a medical professional immediately if you or your child exhibits these symptoms.

READ MORE:  Can you get botulism from honey fermented garlic?

What are the symptoms of botulism from honey?

Symptoms of botulism from honey include:

  • Vomiting
  • Paralysis
  • Muscle weakness
  • Loss of sensation

Honey should never be given to infants or toddlers as it contains botulinum spores which can be lethal to young children.

How to treat botulism?

Botulism is a serious illness caused by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. The disease can be fatal and affects the nervous system, causing paralysis, double vision, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, and respiratory depression.

Botulism usually enters the body through contaminated food. The spores produced by the bacterium can form in canned foods, honey, and vegetables like cabbage. It can also form in some kinds of fish.

Botulism can be treated with antitoxin and antibiotics. Antitoxin works by preventing the absorption of the spores produced by the bacterium, while antibiotics kill off the bacteria itself. However, these treatments don’t always work, as infected people may still experience paralysis, dry mouth, and difficulty breathing.

To prevent botulism, it’s important to eat properly. Always wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before cooking or eating them. Any food that doesn’t look or smell right should be discarded. Don’t drink tap water unless it’s been boiled to prevent harmful bacteria from within its pipes.

Why honey can have botulism?

Honey should only be stored in air-tight containers. Honey can be contaminated with spores of Clostridium botulinum, a bacterium that produces a potent neurotoxin. Botulism spores can be found in soil and in the dust. Also, bacteria can grow in honey.

When honey is heated over 120 degrees F, its enzymes (proteins) are deactivated, and it becomes susceptible to bacterial contamination. Usually, honey is pasteurized in order to kill any bacteria. However, honey is more expensive when pasteurized.

READ MORE:  Can you get botulism from processed honey?

The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not recommend heating honey above 115 degrees. Heating honey above 115 degrees F may increase the risk of botulism infection. Studies show that botulism spores can survive cooking or heating.

Is it safe to eat honey with botulism?

Botulism is a potentially fatal form of food poisoning. It can occur after eating food contaminated with botulinum toxin. This toxin can be produced naturally by Clostridium botulinum bacteria, or it can be produced by sporulating spores of C. botulinum bacteria.

Honey contains spores of C. botulinum bacteria, so eating honey could expose you to the botulinum toxin. The risk is highest for infants, children, and older adults since these groups are more likely to have weakened immune systems.

Honey contaminated with spores of C. botulinum bacteria can undergo germination – a process in which the spores produce a new, living cell. The germinating cell produces the toxin – and, in turn, the toxin produces illness.


Honey is a common home remedy for many illnesses. However, it’s also a risky food. Honey is acidic, so it may damage tooth enamel if you don’t brush properly after eating it. Honey may also cause botulism if it’s contaminated with Clostridium botulinum spores. There are different types of botulism, so the symptoms of each type can vary slightly. In this post, we’ve discussed some common symptoms of botulism, including one from honey.

Leave a Comment

Share to...