Why shouldn’t infants eat honey?

Infants under one year old should not eat honey. This is because their immune system is not yet developed enough to fight off the bacteria that can be found in honey. Honey can also contain spores of a bacteria called Clostridium botulinum. These spores can cause a serious and sometimes fatal disease called botulism in infants. Botulism is a rare but serious illness that can cause paralysis (muscle weakness) and even death. Infants are at a higher risk for developing botulism because their immune systems are not yet fully developed. If you think your infant has botulism, please seek medical attention immediately.

READ MORE:  Can you get botulism from manuka honey?

Leave a Comment

Share to...